Welcome to Quark Community

Quark is an open source software used mainly as a digital currency that employs multiple cryptographic algorithms, which unlike fiat/national currencies provides the platform for a decentralised monetary system.

Quark was launched in 2013 with the belief that the control of money should not be in the hands of the few, but in the hands of the many. This forum tries to build on that ideology by distributing Quarks in the hands of those that are active in the community. By posting quality articles and contributing to general discussions you will earn Quarks.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i mine with a normal laptop?

Discussion in 'Mining' started by DigiTone, Sep 3, 2014.

1. DigiTone

DigiTone Quarker

Hi Folks, I'm new to this game, any idea how long would it take to mine a block on a 2 year old hp laptop with intel core i5? is it even possible?

QUis2vBuKsU2xNmZVdpsSonSPon4iSidma
    MacDuro likes this.
  2. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

I mined with an 10 year old HP so 2 year old ? yes its more than likely ;). Of course put the limit to only 1 core/thread so you can do other activites on it as well. When you find a block check the promotion going on and post proof, you'll get 100QRK for each block you find. Good luck!
    MacDuro likes this.
  3. DigiTone

DigiTone Quarker

Nice one thanks, i'll get to it at some point
    MacDuro likes this.
  4. DigiTone

DigiTone Quarker

If anyone is interested, this laptop mined my first digital currency after just a few hours on one thread. i'm quite surprised by how easy it was. seems like this may be the right time to jump on the Quark bandwagon!
  5. JayeK

JayeK Quarker

I have an old MacBook, have always worried or heard it would kill it, is there a way I could utilize it to mine safely too?
    Mako likes this.
  6. ascottrwilliam

ascottrwilliam Quarker

Wow, your odds were very low for sure. Congrats!
  7. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

my advice was to run it only for half a day(from evening to morning or reverse) and at minimum cpu cores because otherwise its lifespan could decrease much faster.
  8. JayeK

JayeK Quarker

Worst case I still have an old PC running Ubuntu
  9. canier

canier Quarker

I am mining on a G5 Mac (8 core)...it is sitting in my office...generates about 3 qrk a day....I would guess that you would produce less.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Delia666 and DigiTone like this.
  10. Muxokexom

Muxokexom Quarker

I will maybe try my laptop too.