Welcome to Quark Community

Quark is an open source software used mainly as a digital currency that employs multiple cryptographic algorithms, which unlike fiat/national currencies provides the platform for a decentralised monetary system.

Quark was launched in 2013 with the belief that the control of money should not be in the hands of the few, but in the hands of the many. This forum tries to build on that ideology by distributing Quarks in the hands of those that are active in the community. By posting quality articles and contributing to general discussions you will earn Quarks.

1. Important!

Quark protocol has been changed to a POW/POS hybrid. The hard fork will take effect starting with block 4937000 ~ 25 November 2017. By that time make sure you run at least version 0.10.6.1

To download the wallet for the latest version go here:
    https://quarktalk.cc/resources/categories/downloads.2/

Crypto Currency Curriculum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AliceWonder, Aug 1, 2014.

1. AliceWonder

AliceWonder Quarker

I have decided to come up with a Crypto-Currency Curriculum intended to be used at adult learning centers in communities but potentially also usable on-line. Communities I think though is important, teaching people in the local community, I think that is a key aspect into getting local businesses to accept it.

I'm really good with LaTeX and will be writing the material in LaTeX for PDF export, so students can have both a digital and printed version that match (except printed version will be grayscale, greatly reduces cost) - there are also ways to create eBooks from LaTeX source that will work with kindle etc. that are easier to read than a PDF on those devices.

Part of the curriculum will involve a "practice" coin based upon Quark but has no monetary value, because I'll premine the hell out of it. The idea is to distribute the practice coin to students so they can become accustomed to using Qt interface and other wallet software, without financial risk, and ask them to return any coins at end of the class that haven't been destroyed accidentally as part of the learning process.

Right now I'm thinking of three classes:

A) Basics of Crypto-Currency
    B) Crypto-Currency for Business
    C) Advanced Crypto-Currency

The third will be for stuff like understand how a public address is generated from a private key, stuff like that doesn't need to be understood to use a currency.

A comes first. I will be asking for people to review material but one thing I would like to know now if anyone can answer is :

Q1) What concepts did you find difficult when you first started using crypto-currencies?
    Q2) What mistakes did you make that ended up costing you coins?

Thanks in advance. I think if members of the Quark community can become active in local communities by teaching classes about crypto-currencies, it could help establish Quark as a truly mainstream currency we used at places like Amazon and Pizza Hut and Hotels - as well as local farmers markets, swap meets, etc.
    Mako and Rusty_1993 like this.
  2. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

A great idea, although I would distribute them a valuable coin like Quark, say 10 quarks per pdf. If you make 100, thats 1000 QRk which is $10 so you also teach them how to trade real working crypto this way.
  3. AliceWonder

AliceWonder Quarker

Well what I'm looking to do is to have exercises including the simulation of wallet recovery after data corruption, etc. so it is safer to play with a worthless coin.

I think if people know how to back up wallets and restore because they've done it before, it will be less scary to then use a valued coin.

Idea is to teach the class at a public library or community center, many cities places that can be affordably rented for this kind of thing.

Giving them a quarkcoin paper wallet with 100 quarks at the end of class is not a bad idea, creating paper wallets and importing from paper wallets should obviously be one of the topics covered.
  4. Mako

quark I believe already has a testnet where they could experiment, but either way they will need a valuable coin so that the course doesn't remains just a theory. Once they have a valuable coin in their hands they will teach others what they have learned and basically spread the word.

Oh and to your questions, 1. I dont remember too well cause it happened 3 years ago but I do remember that I got confused around the confirmation time. Basically I thought that only after 6 confirmations I can spend the coins. Also I didn't fully understand how the orphaned blocks works.

2. the major mistake was that I invested in pre-orders of mining equipment. I almost got scammed and in the end after investing more than 1000 bitcoins the company sent me back FIAT while the price increased to $100 per btc in the period I waited for their equipment. So it was still a scam but at least I recovered by initial investment. SO don't ever do pre-orders of any kind.
  5. AliceWonder

AliceWonder Quarker

Using a testnet would require gaining sufficient coins in such a testnet where coins could be replenished after an accident that results in lost keys. I want the students to be able to play around and do things like delete the wallet.dat with zero risk to value. Do things like backup wallet.dat to a thumb drive, do 15 transactions, delete the wallet.dat, and restore from backup so they can visually see that indeed, they didn't lose coins received after the backup.

btw - it would be nice if the qt client warned when it is running out of pre-generated addresses since last backup. That would be cool feature to add.
  6. Mako

Can you explain more what you mean by pre-generated address ?
  7. AliceWonder

AliceWonder Quarker

The qt client will generate 50 or 100 (I forget which) addresses by default ahead of time so that when you back up your wallet, it is backing up addresses you haven't used yet.

When you ask the client to create a new address, it gives you one of those generated addresses and then creates a new address to add to the pool of reserve.

Early in bitcoin history, a user had 800 btc and backed up his wallet. Then he sent 1 BTC resulting in 799 change. He then restored from backup (learning how the system worked) and his 799 was gone, effectively destroyed, because the generated change address was not on the backup.

So after that they changed the client to create a reserve of addresses ahead of time, preventing that kind of accident in the future. I think it generates 100 by default, and when the client needs a fresh address for change or because you asked it for a fresh address, it gives you one from that pool and generates a replacement to add to the pool. That way a backup today will restore addresses and change from tomorrow, as long as you don't exceed the number of new addresses in the pool.