Welcome to Quark Community

Quark is an open source software used mainly as a digital currency that employs multiple cryptographic algorithms, which unlike fiat/national currencies provides the platform for a decentralised monetary system.

Quark was launched in 2013 with the belief that the control of money should not be in the hands of the few, but in the hands of the many. This forum tries to build on that ideology by distributing Quarks in the hands of those that are active in the community. By posting quality articles and contributing to general discussions you will earn Quarks.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mining quark: Why it may not be a good idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Horizon, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Horizon

Horizon Quarker

I recently put my beast ass rig into overdrive to mine with all 8 cores.
    The hashrate was nearly 500k and that may seem great right?

Heres the thing: Power consumption was amped up to nearly 1.5x due to overclocking
    and temperatures went to 90 celcius even WITH an aftermarket cooler.

I had to store it in my server room which is basically antarctica to make sure it stayed
    at 70+

Overall, the output I would have gotten is estimated to be around 3-5 blocks a day.
    Meaning at best i'd get 3 dollars worth of quarks a day.

Considering how damaging it is to the parts to push them so hard, plus the electricity bill
    for both the machine and power, 3$ a day isn't enough to justify.

If you use your standard computer, you might get 1 block a day if lucky.
    This is 101 quarks, worth approx 60 cents.

Be smart, when the quark matching promotion is over there might be no point at
    all in mining.
    HonorFace, cschoenytis and allpurpose like this.
  2. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

no coin is mining profitable any longer, the idea behind Quark is that you can mine with your PC which could be idle for most of the time, doing something at a minimum, like mining. No one says you will earn money out of this, unless of course Quark value explodes to $50-100, but this promotion is about education and keeping an low acceptable number of cpu cores mining will not overheat your PC.
  3. Horizon

Horizon Quarker

Just wanted to inform people who are in it for the cash.
    allpurpose likes this.
  4. allpurpose

allpurpose Quarker

i think those gave up long time ago.
    Mako and ermolen like this.
  5. cschoenytis

cschoenytis Quarker

You still can make a buck or two with free electricity.
    isaGrom and Delia666 like this.
  6. Horizon

Horizon Quarker

Still curious though, if its not to carry worth, then what is the point of quark?
  7. Mako

if you judge your life by monetary value, what is the point of it ? if you judge quark by mining profitability, indeed what is the point of mining it ? Well just like any thing in life, its worth as much as you think is worth, some find quark worthawhile because among other reasons, it has the best properties to function as a global currency, without being controlled by bankers. Fiat money with its quantitative easing to bailout dirty bankers may not be on everyone's liking. Fortunately we now have a choice: crypto currencies. Many crypto coins aren't profitable to mine so you could ask what is the point of those too,right ? Maybe you didn't got the sense of the emancipation and empowerment that these crypto coins can give you ? How about the fact that you can transfer value from one place on the earth to the other side in matter of seconds ? in Quark case with $0 fees. How would you like that your bank confiscates your money(see Cyprus) ? Wouldn't you like to be in control of your money ? If yes then mining Quark will keep your Quark savings protected. Mine Quark with 1 core on your PC which may stay idle anyways while still being able to work/play games/watcch movies on your PC. How much does it cost in terms of electricity to keep 1 CPU core mining ? probably less than $0.01 monthly, so is it that big of a cost ? If you think it is then you can stop mining, no one is forcing you.
  8. Horizon

Horizon Quarker

I don't judge my life by monetary value, I live by it. Until I find a way to get everything for free thats just how it is.
    The assumption that I judge quark by mining profitability is completely wrong and unreasonable, since I gave no indication of that. It is true that placed value exist, but intrinsic value is more widely accepted.

I don't care/want to get into the fiat money vs cyptocurrency debates. I'm sure you all have excellent reasons for using this instead of physical money.

I'd like to point out now that your entire point here is based on a very offended point of view, almost as if I had insulted something dear to you, like your mother for example. It is also based on assuming true that i'm looking for profitability in mining.

Perhaps this is a problem existent in the rest of the world, but where I live, we don't have any problems about money being controlled by who or what. The instant cost free transfer of value is very real, and very accesible.

Again, I just really feel the need to point out how offended and aggressive your response is.
    All I asked is a very simple question.

If the purpose of Quark, is not to carry intrinsic worth, what is the point of it?

Simply calling it a cryptocurrency doesn't explain anything. I can just as easily create another cryptocurrency, just like many already have. The fact of the matter remains, in the current point that this universe resides in, if quark carries no worth, it will be just as effective for exchange, as klingon is for daily conversations.

So please, when you do respond to me again. Please do me 2 favours.

Split your paragraphs so its less of an eyesore, and don't treat me as an enemy to fight.
    I'm here to ask questions, and if asking questions is enough to undermine the concept then i'm not the one you should be angry at.
    HonorFace and gonsi0 like this.
  9. Mako

Sorry but that is an phrase interconnected, there aren't a bunch of non-related sentences put together, therefore I can't split them.

Oh lol what made you feel I treating you as my enemy ? also what made you feel I was angry at you ? :) Far from it my thoughts. My last advice maybe ? Well thats true, if anyone is looking for profit, this isn't the place to be. Mining is not profitable not in Quark, not in anything else anymore, so if you think its too much trouble then why do it ?
    HonorFace likes this.
  10. Mako

You created a thread advising others Quark is not profitable mining so they should stop after this promotion.

Quark is as physical as the FIAT money. They all exist on our computers nowadays. Well the latter in the bank's computers.

What makes you say that ? I was explaining why mining Quark, although unprofitable, is still worth to mine so that you protect your Quark savings.

Where do you live ? You do know that Cyprus was an EU member when they confiscated the bank accounts of their citizens ? You live in US ? Then you do know that the whole 2007-8 crisis was produced by some dirty bankers which later got bailout by using money created out of nothing ? They even received a 1 million bonus for their excellent work.

It does carries intrisec worth for us that are using it. If it wouldn't then we wouldn't use it and it wouldn't be worth $0.005 at todays market.

It explains everything from where I'm standing, you can create another one but as you can see now with Bitcoin and Quark. Bitcoin carries the bigger network effect, you won't see Quark overcoming Bitcoin anytime soon just like you won't see a new cryptocurrency with quark-algo to overwhelm Quark, its called network effect, as more people use it the more is worth.
    HonorFace and yuhmengalich like this.
  11. Horizon

Horizon Quarker

You created a thread advising others Quark is not profitable mining so they should stop after this promotion.

I stated it to be a warning for those who are looking for a profit.

Quark is as physical as the FIAT money. They all exist on our computers nowadays. Well the latter in the bank's computers.

Don't know about you, but I keep much of my money in property and assets.

What makes you say that ? I was explaining why mining Quark, although unprofitable, is still worth to mine so that you protect your Quark savings.

Been skulking around the net for too long, I tend to read into things a little too much sometimes.

Where do you live ? You do know that Cyprus was an EU member when they confiscated the bank accounts of their citizens ? You live in US ? Then you do know that the whole 2007-8 crisis was produced by some dirty bankers which later got bailout by using money created out of nothing ? They even received a 1 million bonus for their excellent work.

So you're just going to completely forget about Asia or something...

It does carries intrisec worth for us that are using it. If it wouldn't then we wouldn't use it and it wouldn't be worth $0.005 at todays market.

Again, not exactly bursting to debate this, but the only reason it has worth is because a small consortium (the quark community) has placed worth in it. If tomorrow I took monopoly money and 100,000 other people accepted it as currency, it will gain worth in the worlds market.

It explains everything from where I'm standing, you can create another one but as you can see now with Bitcoin and Quark. Bitcoin carries the bigger network effect, you won't see Quark overcoming Bitcoin anytime soon just like you won't see a new cryptocurrency with quark-algo to overwhelm Quark, its called network effect, as more people use it the more is worth.

You just explained my previous point, so to end on a good and happy note: Great minds think alike.
    HonorFace and Delia666 like this.
  12. NormanoSilurian

NormanoSilurian Quarker

Many, many people are mining Quark just to support the network hash rate. I support QRK because I look at it from a Libertarian perspective.

Its inflation rate of 0.4% is geared to basically just replace mislaid coins. This effective zero inflation is very important to me, as inflation acts as an invisible tax on working people (especially when the official fiat inflation rate is declared as being lower than it really is). It's a little complicated, but this combination essentially swindles working people out of a decent wage. If QRK is adopted, workers will no longer be exposed to this government crime. In addition, the fractional reserve system renders the entire banking system unstable (as we shall probably find out someday), and QRK, like almost all crypto currencies, does not facilitate fractional reserve banking. (Any surreptitious fractional system would be totally exposed from day 1).

So I (and many others) believe there is a moral aspect to supporting QRK, and we shall be continuing to mine regardless of the price, regardless of any factors. It comes down to promoting human freedom.
    HonorFace likes this.
  13. NormanoSilurian

NormanoSilurian Quarker

oh yeah, what I didn't mention was that I also think QRK has a very good chance of being widely used. People seem to believe that BTC will be the only currency, and all others will fall away due to the network effect. I disagree, I think the future will see a range of cryptos being adopted. For example if nation states such as China or India develop their own national cryptos, I would expect to see a generalized explosion in values across the crypto scene - including QRK.
    HonorFace likes this.