Welcome to Quark Community

Quark is an open source software used mainly as a digital currency that employs multiple cryptographic algorithms, which unlike fiat/national currencies provides the platform for a decentralised monetary system.

Quark was launched in 2013 with the belief that the control of money should not be in the hands of the few, but in the hands of the many. This forum tries to build on that ideology by distributing Quarks in the hands of those that are active in the community. By posting quality articles and contributing to general discussions you will earn Quarks.

1. Important!

Quark protocol has been changed to a POW/POS hybrid. The hard fork will take effect starting with block 4937000 ~ 25 November 2017. By that time make sure you run at least version 0.10.6.1

To download the wallet for the latest version go here:
    https://quarktalk.cc/resources/categories/downloads.2/

Quark vs other cryptos?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by captdrizzle, Sep 1, 2014.

1. captdrizzle

captdrizzle Quarker

I'm just curious as to what sets quark apart from other cryptos. I understand that the low block time allows for faster transactions, and the algorithm being cryptographically "stronger" than bitcoins. But what sets quark apart from the rest? Addressing this topic would be the best way to differentiate quark from the rest of the pump & dump coins.
    HonorFace likes this.
  2. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

from the protocol side, Quark offers 51% attack protection, faster confirmations, no fees transactions and of course 9 hashing rounds using 6 crypto functions which offers firstly better protection for block generation mechanism and secondly prevents specialized miners to gain a huge superiority vs the CPU miners.

from the economic side: it has a balanced inflation of 0.4%; the supply is not controlled by mining monopolies as 98% emission was done in the first 6 months, therefore the supply/demand of the coin is bound strictly to the free market activities; due to the last 2 points it also meant that late adopters aren't so disproportionate in buying power from the early adopters like it happens in a deflationary currency with a slow emission rate like Bitcoin.

Read more: http://quarktalk.org/resources/quark-en.6/
  3. captdrizzle

captdrizzle Quarker

Other than the inflation, faster confirmations, cryptographic strength, and low/no fee, are there any other features that quark has that other coins don't? For example Namecoin has a DNS system built within it and Vertcoin & Darkcoin have stealth transactions. Other than "reinventing bitcoin," what other functional features does Quark have that could lead to wider adoption rates? Are there any plants to implement stealth transactions or other features?
  4. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

stealth transactions are not a desirable feature due to security concerns over double spends attacks. First 2 crypto coins Bitcoin and Litecoin have no such last month fad features planned and still they are the widest adopted.

Quark already offers an alternative to those 2 by some of the things I've enumerated in my above post. I don't know if the current features of Quark will lead to a wider adoption but I do know they are improvements and allows Quark to be considered truly a currency for real day-to-day transactions.
  5. denis93

denis93 Quarker

That's interesting, I've never heard that argument before.
  6. aenor

aenor Quarker

Features matter less than network effects. Basically if you gain a large network effect, you can always add/improve the features of the coin afterwards. But without a network effect, even if you have fabulous features, the coin will fail.

So it's adoption that people need to focus on. If the Shaq-Fu game takes off, I can see other games including Quark, that way you can cash out of one game and use the money in another, and have a defacto "gaming currency". Once that happens you have a network effect.

So lets hope Shaq-Fu is successful and lets hope there is work behind the scenes to get other games to adopt Quark.
    Abell likes this.
  7. Abell

Abell Quarkmod Staff Member QuarkTalk moderator

Regarding Shaq-Fu latest news http://quarktalk.cc/threads/shaq-fu...-use-quark-as-in-game-currency.237/#post-1198

Also a suggestion has been made which sounds pretty good https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=260031.msg8830227#msg8830227
    HonorFace likes this.
  8. quark

quark Quarker

Quark used to have a team of core members that thought outside of the box and had the ability to get some ground breaking things done. I hope we can bring some of those back over time.

Max is also very fast to push out essential updates and keep the qrk core running smoothly.

There have been some disruptive members inside the community, but they are being dealt with now.
    HonorFace likes this.