Welcome to Quark Community

Quark is an open source software used mainly as a digital currency that employs multiple cryptographic algorithms, which unlike fiat/national currencies provides the platform for a decentralised monetary system.

Quark was launched in 2013 with the belief that the control of money should not be in the hands of the few, but in the hands of the many. This forum tries to build on that ideology by distributing Quarks in the hands of those that are active in the community. By posting quality articles and contributing to general discussions you will earn Quarks.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quarkwallet chewing up resourses

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by theplantzman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. theplantzman

theplantzman Quarker

Hi, new to this forum/ site, but i've been following quark and other cc's and believe quark has a place and will see the necessary upturn.
    I have two quark wallets, both 8.3.22 beta's, one is on a lap top, that ticks over just fine, limited/ fraction cpu usuage when updated, i have a 2nd wallet on my desktop that i collect pool mined on, this wallet will often grab 60% cpu usage, when up to date, 50% of the time, I have created a conf file for solo mining on both, but do not currently use, tick box for mining-off/ setgenerate= false etc. not a major issue as I close the wallet when i want all the resourses to myself, but would prefer to leave wallets running to help the network, any thoughts or should i switch to 9 wallet?
    iram313099 and Acevedo000 like this.
  2. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

don't switch yet for 0.9 version if you want to solo mine.

its strange that its consuming 50% of CPU, is the wallet updated with the latest blockchain ? Can you also do getmininginfo command and see if you actually mine. Do you by any chance run a full node ?
  3. theplantzman

theplantzman Quarker

sorry for the delay.....windows joy, i was trying to track the problem down, thought i might have found it with a rogue service left over from an unistall conflicting with another wallet, turns out the blockchain on the hdrive had become corrupted, not certain how, but i lost some system files as well, spent a few hours trying to recover with sfc, before reverting to a backup, the wallets still hard reindexing the blocks on hdrive, so will fill in, once its finnished.
  4. theplantzman

theplantzman Quarker

well, the blockchain has reindexed and the wallet is still taking 25% cpu cycles avrg, peak at 50% with console getmininginfo showing false, and the blockchain upto date, my other quarkwallet on a lesser spec laptop uses less resourses. even when loading/ updating, both wallets originated from a link on quarktalk I think. should I reinstall? I can transfer funds to my other wallet to save them, I use minerd to mine quarks don't presently solo mine as i use pc for work/ games alot and i don't think i'm running a full node, haven't read any details yet but am considering for near future, any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks ia.
  5. Mako

what settings do you have in your quarkcoin.conf ?
  6. theplantzman

theplantzman Quarker

o yea, I was following instructions a while back, trying to use simple cpuminer, and had had a tinker, forgot about that, don't have a qcoin.conf but qchain.conf. settings as follows

listen=1
    maxconnections=80
    gen=1
    genproclimit=-1
    server=1
    rpcuser=xxxx
    rpcpassword=xxxx
    rpcport=9999
    server=1
    daemon=1
    +several addnodes

, guess the gen =1 gives it away, should have thought, thanks for walking through this, i'll revert this conf to just

listen=1
    maxconnections=80
    gen=1
    genproclimit=-1

should i change the gen= to 0?
    tia
  7. Mako

yep gen = 0, but still you will need to have the correct conf file in your wallet data folder

then check that its not mining by doing: getmininginfo