Welcome to Quark Community

Quark is an open source software used mainly as a digital currency that employs multiple cryptographic algorithms, which unlike fiat/national currencies provides the platform for a decentralised monetary system.

Quark was launched in 2013 with the belief that the control of money should not be in the hands of the few, but in the hands of the many. This forum tries to build on that ideology by distributing Quarks in the hands of those that are active in the community. By posting quality articles and contributing to general discussions you will earn Quarks.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Confirms

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by AliceWonder, Jul 30, 2014.

1. AliceWonder

AliceWonder Quarker

I remember reading that it takes 6 blocks for a transaction to be confirmed. However in the Qt client it seems to be shown as confirmed much faster.

Six confirms makes sense due to greater possibility of orphans with a 30 second block, is that just a guideline or does the protocol reject an input for spending with less than 6 confirmations?

I'm asking because when I attempt to port Armory to interface with quarkcoind I want to know if I should try to reflect the six confirms or not (e.g. a status similar to immature if less than 6 confirms)

Thanks.
  2. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

Actually finding a block counts as 1 confirmation, because the miner that finds a hash includes all pending transactions and if your transaction is found among those that he solves then that will count as 1 confirmation.

6 confirmations are for Bitcoin, for Quark we need to use 10-12 confirmations to consider the transaction safe from double spending, this should be reflected in our core client as well...
    cschoenytis and ando0osiv like this.
  3. MaxGuevara

MaxGuevara Quark Founder Staff Member QuarkTalk moderator Quark Developer

As Mako noted, you can choose your own number of confirms. The dynamic checkpoint node currently checkpoints 16 blocks, so you should be pretty secure after 16 confirms.
    cschoenytis likes this.
  4. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

Hi Max, can you also make this visible into the core wallet so that those 6 confirmations which marks a transaction safe can be changed to 16 ? I mean on the GUI, for example that icon 1/6 means 1 confirmation but when its filled with 2 out of 6 in Quark should mean 4 confirmations, 3/6 means 7 confs, 4/6 10, 5/6 13, 6/6 16 confirmations.
    Rusty_1993 likes this.