Welcome to Quark Community

Quark is an open source software used mainly as a digital currency that employs multiple cryptographic algorithms, which unlike fiat/national currencies provides the platform for a decentralised monetary system.

Quark was launched in 2013 with the belief that the control of money should not be in the hands of the few, but in the hands of the many. This forum tries to build on that ideology by distributing Quarks in the hands of those that are active in the community. By posting quality articles and contributing to general discussions you will earn Quarks.

1. Important!

Quark protocol has been changed to a POW/POS hybrid. The hard fork will take effect starting with block 4937000 ~ 25 November 2017. By that time make sure you run at least version 0.10.6.1

To download the wallet for the latest version go here:
    https://quarktalk.cc/resources/categories/downloads.2/

Testing mining on the 0.9.2 wallet

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by MaxGuevara, Sep 10, 2014.

1. MaxGuevara

MaxGuevara Quark Founder Staff Member QuarkTalk moderator Quark Developer

The latest Quark 0.9.2 has mining code in.

It would be a great help if different scenarios can be tested:

1. Mining from the wallet
    2. Mining from external miners
    3. Mining from a pool

If anyone can help testing the mining, please post your results here.
    hhao, enLighteN85 and MasterQ like this.
  2. Mako

Mako Quark Supporter Staff Member QuarkTalk Custodian

I've been mining directly from the wallet version 0.9.2 for over a week now, works fine I found 5-10 blocks, just that the difficulty and networkhashps are not reported correctly:

Code:
    getmininginfo {
    "blocks" : 1258452,
    "currentblocksize" : 1375,
    "currentblocktx" : 1,
    "difficulty" : 1.78229535,
    "errors" : "",
    "genproclimit" : 3,
    "networkhashps" : 257670498,
    "pooledtx" : 1,
    "testnet" : false,
    "generate" : true,
    "hashespersec" : 171474
    }
    If anyone is able to test mining on external miners and pools would be great, if not I will try these later this month.
    hhao and enLighteN85 like this.
  3. MaxGuevara

Thanks for the feedback Mako!
  4. MacDuro

MacDuro Quarkmod Staff Member QuarkTalk moderator

I have been mining with the wallet without problems using 2 different pc's .
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  5. Mako

What wallet version are you using ?
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  6. MacDuro

0.9.2.1 for this computer and and I thinlk also for the other , but I'll have to check later to be sure

EDIT : The other computer is using the old wallet , 0.8 , not 0.9
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  7. MaxGuevara

Thanks MacDuro.

I managed to find a block using a GPU and sgminer and the 0.9.2 wallet, so it looks like the new wallet/daemon works with existing GPU miner software.

I also applied a patch to Github so that the new wallet displays the correct difficulty.
    hhao, enLighteN85 and Mako like this.
  8. MacDuro

Great news , I have to say that I have been unable to mine using a pool , I can't figure how to properly setup the miner so any improvements on use the wallet for mine is good new for n00b users like me . ANd I have to say that been unable to mine in a pool creating a simple scrupt hurts me a lot , I was so damm good years ago creating scripts for games ! .
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  9. drgncabe

drgncabe Quarker

0.9.2 seems to be much more stable and quite a bit faster with the transaction database. I've also been using JSON-RPC to do remote mining to the Quark Core 0.9.2 instance without issue. One of the issues I was getting with the 0.8.3 wallet is bad blocks causing a transaction database re-index (that took 4-5 hours even on a very fast RAID array) so this weekend I plan on forcing a re-index on 0.9.2 to benchmark performance. I also like some of the new features like network monitor, quicker transaction catch-up and such. I do wish there was a way to see how many remote mining instances were connected to it.

I haven't tested using Quark Core with a mining pool (I'm not a member of any), someone else will likely need to do that. Seems like pool mining is just too much fuss. :)

How do I get quarkd to do GPU mining? I didn't see an obvious way in the command line or is it automatic?

Here's my getmininginfo

{
    "blocks" : 1264112,
    "currentblocksize" : 1000,
    "currentblocktx" : 0,
    "difficulty" : 399.39437223,
    "errors" : "",
    "genproclimit" : -1,
    "networkhashps" : 218418046,
    "pooledtx" : 0,
    "testnet" : false,
    "generate" : true,
    "hashespersec" : 320246
    }

This is from my main desktop (Core i7 3770) using the 0.9.2 built-in miner with two remote instances connected (both Xeon E3122 Quad-core servers) using PHS's Win64_allimproved2 miner (http://sourceforge.net/projects/philosopherstone/files/QRK/). I don't think getmininginfo shows hashespersec from remote miners though.
    enLighteN85 and MaxGuevara like this.
  10. MaxGuevara

Thanks for this.

Yes, the new faster database is a feature of the 0.9.2 upgrade. I'm glad you noticed it.

I did GPU mining using sgminer on Linux. You can find binaries for Windows and more info here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=475795.0

hashespersec shows the speed of the wallet's built-in miner only. The external miner is probably more optimised than the built-in miner.
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  11. mancoon

mancoon Quarker

Switching from 8.3 to 9.2.1 I started getting frequent CTDs. Sometimes it works fine for hours, other times it crashes a few seconds after opening. I'm on a pretty fresh install of Win 8.1 64bit.
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  12. MaxGuevara

Hi mancoon

Do you have mining enabled while downloading the block chain? If so, try turning off mining while downloading the block chain. Did the crashes stop once the block-chain was synced/mining was tuned off?
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  13. mancoon

mancoon Quarker

Thanks!! This seems to be the problem.
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  14. MaxGuevara

Thanks for confirming this. A fix has been applied to github that makes the miner pause while the block chain is downloading to prevent this.
    hhao, enLighteN85, Mako and 1 other person like this.
  15. drgncabe

drgncabe Quarker

I haven't had issues with the 0.9.2 wallet on my desktop PC (Windows 8.1 Enterprise). On that wallet, I copied over the "chainstate" and "database" files from the 0.8.3 wallet I had installed. However, since I hadn't put the 0.8.3 wallet through any use I didn't copy over the 0.8.3 wallet.dat file and let the 0.9.2 wallet generate a new one.

However, I updated my server that's running Server 2008 R2 today and it crashed after the update almost immediately. However, once I reopened it, it's been fine for about 10min. Here's the steps I took;
    1. moved the quarkcoin folder out of %appdata% to my local desktop (I wanted to move it's location anyways)
    2. Created a new folder, C:\quarkcoin
    3. Copied the 'chainstate' and 'blocks' folder along with 'wallet.dat' to c:\quarkcoin
    4. Copied the updated executables to c:\quarkcoin
    5. Ran 'quark-qt.exe' and when prompted with the 'new install' window (is this new? I like it!) I pointed quark to c:\quarkcoin
    6. Quark-qt scanned the database then opened to my wallet view which was correct, however as soon as it attempted to connect to the quark network it crashed with a 'this program unexpectedly closed' prompt (I forgot to screenshot it, but it's a typical crash prompt)
    7. I reopened Quark-qt and this time it connected fine and sat happy for about 10min.
    I went ahead and closed it again, copied over my config and started it up. Everything so far works as expected. Maybe something with reading the wallet? I'll probably try it a couple more times to see if I can replicate the issue or if it was some sort of one-off thing.
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  16. mancoon

mancoon Quarker

@drgncabe

Have you read MaxGuevara's post here? For me the crashes were caused because of mining while syncing conflict.
  17. drgncabe

drgncabe Quarker

Yea, I had mining disabled when it crashed. It worked immediately afterwords on restart and I haven't had further issues but I was checking process explorer and the last thing it did before crashing was read the wallet.dat file.

Were you syncing the whole transaction history or did you already have the full download and quark was catching up? Moving over my chainstate and blocks folder made 0.9.2 take all of 30 seconds to be synced.
    enLighteN85 likes this.
  18. MaxGuevara

I updated the 0.9.2 wallet to pause the mining thread while downloading the blockchain.

The default mining settings from 0.8 will also not carry over to 0.9.2 and will default to mining OFF, so users will have to enable mining under settings if they want to automatically mine.

I also tested upgrading wallets from 0.8 to 0.9 and didn't experience issues.

I will run this version on different machines with different configurations for the next few days to see if there are any crashes.

Thanks again for the testing and feedback.

New windows builds:

Quark 0.9.2.1 Test 5

Win32 https://mega.co.nz/#!cpMxDBhZ!rZsp_bxS46cM9jlv46aXswVB5I66m3oI6tHPN5C2wms
    Win64 https://mega.co.nz/#!s1sg3RJK!_wmsUXzmg_QgYkpARRfQCvDG3xY2wdcjU8fKHR7TlOs
    hhao, enLighteN85, Mako and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mako

Thanks for the updates Max. I've taken the time to upload the Resources as well(Post Resource Update feature)
    hhao, enLighteN85 and MaxGuevara like this.
  20. MaxGuevara

Thanks Mako. I just noticed another issue, so I'll be uploading another version soon.
    enLighteN85 and Mako like this.
  21. MaxGuevara

22. Mako

Max, has any mining testing been done on the latest version? Or has the mining code remained the same since 0.9.2 ? Cheers